The Student Independent Research Intern, or SIRI, program offers academic-term internships at JPL for students enrolled in an independent study course at participating area community colleges.(See program "requirements" for a list of participating colleges.)
As part of their internships, students are partnered with JPL scientists or engineers, who serve as the students' mentors. Students complete designated projects outlined by their mentors, gaining educational experience in their fields of study while also contributing to NASA and JPL missions and science. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a number of enrichment activities, including tours, lectures and career advisement, arranged by the JPL Education Office.
- Students majoring in science, engineering or mathematics who are enrolled as undergraduates at the program's partner community colleges:
- Cerritos College
- Chaffey College
- Citrus College
- Coastline Community College
- College of the Canyons
- Cypress College
- East Los Angeles College
- El Camino College
- El Camino College - Compton Center
- Fullerton College
- Glendale Community College
- Golden West College
- Long Beach City College
- Los Angeles City College
- Los Angeles Harbor College
- Los Angeles Mission College
- Los Angeles Pierce College
- Los Angeles Southwest College
- Los Angeles Trade Tech College
- Los Angeles Valley College
- Moreno Valley College
- Mt. San Antonio College
- Norco College
- Orange Coast College
- Pasadena City College
- Rio Hondo College
- Riverside City College
- Saddleback College
- San Bernardino Valley College
- Santa Ana College
- Santa Monica College
- Santiago Canyon College
- West Los Angeles College
- Students must have a faculty sponsor at one of the participating colleges who can nominate the student for the program and approve academic credit for the internship. Students may identify their own faculty sponsors or contact JPL Program Coordinator Jenny Tieu to obtain the name of a faculty sponsor for a particular campus. Note: Pasadena City College students MUST seek nomination from MESA Director Melva Alvarez or Jake Hartman.
- Students must receive independent study credit for this experience from their faculty sponsor.
- Minimum cumulative 3.00 GPA. The cumulative GPA must originate from the institution where the student has a current active status.
- Open to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs).
- Students must be over the age of 18.
- Students must be available 10 to 15 hours per week during the internship period (approximately 15 weeks).
- Participants receive course credit. (This is an unpaid internship.)
- Housing and travel allowances are not provided.
- This program is designed for a one-semester/quarter experience only.
How to Apply:
The application period for Spring 2021 has ended. Please check back for information about upcoming opportunities.
For more information about JPL internships and fellowships, visit our FAQ page.
JPL Education Office - Student & Faculty Programs