The Student Independent Research Intern, or SIRI, program offers academic-term internships at JPL for students enrolled in an independent study course at participating area colleges and universities.(See program "requirements" for a list of participating colleges.)
As part of their internships, students are partnered with JPL scientists or engineers, who serve as the students' mentors. Students complete designated projects outlined by their mentors, gaining educational experience in their fields of study while also contributing to NASA and JPL missions and science. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a number of enrichment activities, including tours, lectures and career advisement, arranged by the JPL Education Office.
- Students majoring in science, engineering or mathematics who are enrolled as undergraduates at the following colleges (subject to change):
Cal Poly Pomona
College of the Canyons
East Los Angeles College
El Camino College
Glendale Community College
Long Beach City College
Los Angeles City College
Los Angeles Mission College
Los Angeles Trade Tech College
Los Angeles Valley College
Mt. San Antonio College
Pasadena City College
Rio Hondo College
Santa Monica College
Santiago Canyon College
University of La Verne
West Los Angeles College
- Students must have a faculty sponsor (download instructions for faculty sponsors) at one of the participating colleges who can nominate the student for the program and approve academic credit for the internship. Students may identify their own faculty sponsors or contact JPL Program Coordinator Roslyn Soto to obtain the name of a faculty sponsor for a particular campus.
- Students must receive independent study credit for this experience from their faculty sponsor.
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Open to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents (LPRs) only
- Students must be over the age of 18
- Students must be available 10 to 15 hours per week during the internship period (approximately one academic term)
- Participants receive course credit. (This is an unpaid internship.)
- Housing and travel allowances are not provided
- Program participants have access to JPL parking facilities for no charge. Public transportation options are also available.
- This program is designed for a one-semester/quarter experience only.
How to Apply:
Application deadline for Spring 2017: December 2, 2016
- Review the list of open opportunities for Spring 2017. (Available early November 2016.)