Slice of History - The Corporal Guided Missile Training School
On 17 July 1952, the first class of The Corporal Guided Missile Training School held its graduation ceremony at White Sands Proving Ground (WSPG), Las Cruces, New Mexico. 52 students were conferred Certificates of Graduation by then-JPL Director, Dr. Louis G. Dunn and Army Ordnance Coordinating Officer, Lt. Col. T.H. Ebbert.
The Corporal Guided Missile Training School consisted of officers, enlisted men, and civilians whom the Army deemed ‘instructor material.’ Students, who all possessed previous electronic and mechanical engineering training to some degree, attended courses that trained them in the use of guided missiles, in both the utilization of personnel and of the technical phases. These graduates went on to teach courses in all levels of the guided missile program to various Army units.
Courses were held at the JPL Training Laboratory, McCornack General Hospital, Pasadena, and JPL facilities were used as supplemental space. The JPL Military Training Lab moved to this location in March 1952, and included 19 instructors – 10 military and 9 civilians. Originally organized under Section 15 Chief, Robert B. Rypinski, following the relocation, the school operated under Division 3, and was overseen by Dr. William H. Pickering. CL#21-5950