The JPL Faculty Research Program, or JFRP, provides opportunities for science, technology, mathematics and engineering (STEM) faculty to engage in research of mutual interest to the faculty member and a JPL researcher.
The primary goals of the program are to:
- Cultivate research collaborations between JPL and the academic community that will contribute to the lab's research objectives.
- Provide opportunities for faculty to experience the methods and content of the JPL and NASA research culture so they will be able to better guide their students in pursuing STEM careers.
- Program applicants must hold a full-time appointment at an accredited university or college in the United States.
- Open to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents (LPRs).
- Faculty must be available full-time (40 hours per week) for a 10-week session.
- Opportunities are offered year-round.
- JFRP awards are contingent upon availability of germane opportunities for collaboration and a JPL host’s funding.
- Participants receive a monetary award. Award amounts vary and are subject to change. Housing and travel allowances are provided only to program participants working at institutions outside the 50-mile radius of JPL.
- Awardees are required to submit a research plan prior to the start of their research collaboration as well as present their work to a JPL audience at the end of the session.
- Awards, stipend payments or salaries from other federal funding sources, including research grants and contracts, may not be accepted for the duration of a JPL faculty research appointment.
How to Apply:
Click the "Apply Now" button below to fill out the online application.
You will need:
- Resume (PDF, DOC, DOCX or TXT).
- Names, titles and institutions of two professional references who can provide letters of recommendation.
For more information about JPL internships and fellowships, visit our FAQ page.