When:Friday, December 24, 4:20 a.m. PST (7:20 a.m. EST)
Where:Online (see event details)
Target Audience:General Public
Update: Dec. 15, 2021 – The scheduled launch date has been changed to Friday, Dec. 24.
The James Webb Space Telescope, which is designed to capture views of the early universe as far back as 13.5 billion years ago, is scheduled to launch from French Guiana on Friday, Dec. 24. Find out how you can follow along as the mission unfolds (literally!) and get students exploring the science of the universe. Check out the resources below – including lessons and activities for teachers and students – to get started.
- Follow along with the mission from launch and unfolding to science observations and discovery announcements on the mission website, plus view the latest images and videos, at the links below:
- Find a virtual or in-person event at a location near you. Visit the Webb Space Telescope Community Events page to start exploring.
- Check out the resources below to bring the real-life STEM behind the mission into your teaching with lesson guides for educators, projects and slideshows for students, and more.
Articles for Educators
- Teachable Moments
Learn About the Universe With the James Webb Space Telescope
Get a look into the science and engineering behind the largest and most powerful space telescope ever built while exploring ways to engage learners in the mission.
Exploring the Universe - Lessons for Educators
Teach students all about the universe, stars, galaxies, and exoplanets with this collection of standards-aligned STEM lessons.
All About the Universe - Activities for Students
Students can learn all about the universe, stars, galaxies, and exoplanets with these hands-on projects, slideshows, and videos.
Articles for Students
- What is the James Webb Space Telescope?
- What is the Big Bang?
- What is a galaxy?
- What is a satellite galaxy?
- What is a transit?
- What is a black hole?
- What is a light year?
- What is a nebula?
- What is an exoplanet?
- How many solar systems are in our galaxy?
- How old are galaxies?
- What is a supernova?
- Explore the electromagnetic spectrum
Videos for Students
- Space Place in a Snap: The Solar System’s Formation
- Space Place in a Snap: Searching for Other Planets Like Ours