Privacy Notice for JPL Mobile Application Users
This Privacy Notice describes the personal information the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) processes to support the functionality of its mobile applications ("Applications").
What Kinds of Information do We Collect?
To provide you with the Applications, we collect information to ensure the Applications' functionality. The types of information we collect depend on the specific Applications that you use.
Information You Choose to Provide to Us.
For certain activities, such as when you contact us directly, you may provide some or all of the following information:
- User-generated content, including comments, photographs, videos, and virtual item videos that you choose to upload or broadcast on the Platform;
- Your opt-in choices; and
- Information you share with us by contacting us.
Information about Your Use of the Applications.
In addition to the information you provide, we may collect information about your use of our Applications through software on your device and other means. For example, we may obtain:
- Device information - such as your hardware model, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, MAC address, IP address, operating system versions, and settings of the device you use to access the Applications.
- Log information - such as the time and duration of your use of the Applications, search query terms you enter through the Applications, and any information stored in cookies that have set on your device.
- Data from device settings – such as information you allow us to receive through device settings you turn on, such as access to your GPS location, microphone, camera or photos.
- Cookies – such as data from cookies stored on your device, including cookie IDs and settings.
- Identifiers – such as Google’s Instance IDs and Advertising IDs, which uniquely identify your device, to determine which devices to deliver push notifications to and to show you personalized advertisements.
How Your Information is Used.
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- to provide customized content and provide personalized services based on your past activities on our Applications;
- to deliver advertising, including customized advertisements, sponsored content and promotional communications;
- for assessment and analysis of our market, customers, products, and services;
- to understand the way users use our Applications so that we can improve them and develop new products and services; or
- to provide maintenance services.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising or Functionality on Our Applications.
Our Applications may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by websites or other services. You should exercise caution, and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use. We are not responsible for these third-party products or services. Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Applications may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. For example:
- We enable you to watch video content provided by content providers;
- Certain third parties may serve advertising or keep track of which advertisements users see, how often they see those advertisements, and what users do in response to them; and
- We enable you to share certain materials on our Applications with others through social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.
Google Advertising ID.
The advertising ID is a unique, user-resettable ID for advertising, provided by Google Play services. It gives users better controls and provides developers with a simple, standard system to continue to monetize their apps. It enables users to reset their identifier or opt out of personalized ads (formerly known as interest-based ads) within Google Play apps.
Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that placed the cookie on your device to recognize you across different websites, services, devices, and/or browsing sessions. Cookies serve many useful purposes. For example:
- Cookies can remember your sign-in credentials so you do not have to enter those credentials each time you log on to an Application;
- Cookies can help us and third parties understand which parts of our Applications are the most popular because they help us to see which pages and features visitors are accessing and how much time they are spending on the pages. By analyzing this kind of information, we are better able to adapt the Applications and provide you with a better experience;
- Cookies can help us and third parties understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access Applications; or
- Cookies can help us and third parties provide you with relevant content and advertising by collecting information about your use of our Applications.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that information about you is available only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13) without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Users Located in the European Economic Area
If you are located in the European Economic Area (consisting of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway), please click here for additional information regarding the ways that Caltech may collect, use, and share information about you.
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal information practices with respect to the Mobile Applications, or changes in the applicable law. We will post a notice on our website and/or your device to notify you of significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the notice when it was most recently updated.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/contact_JPL.php.