In this activity, your youth:
• Can connect with NASA's Cassini spacecraft and the designers who built it - by thinking like engineers.
• Follow the engineering process of building a spacecraft through team discussion, design drawing, model construction and peer presentation, which emulates steps taken by the Cassini team in designing a spacecraft to travel to Saturn.
• Create and present their design drawing and their model spacecraft.
• Work as an engineering team to make changes, as in the engineering design process.
• Make and Take: a model of a spacecraft to go to Saturn, working together as a team.Time/number of sessions:
Four 40-minute sessions Activity type:
Hands-on constructionSpace needed:
Classroom or cafeteria, space with tables and chairs
Download the Activity
Optimized PDF (for screen or printer use)
Full-resolution PDF (for full-resolution color printing)