Here is your design problem for today. How can you design a spacecraft that will make it all the way to Saturn - 800 million miles away from Earth? To design your spacecraft, you and your design team are going to work together and make decisions about the following things.
• How will you protect the spacecraft in the icy cold temperature of deep space?
• How will you control and keep in touch with your spacecraft?
• How will you keep the spacecraft safe if it is hit by a space particle (a micrometeoroid,
dust particle, or ring particle)?
• What do you want the spacecraft to try to find out at Saturn?
• Do you think you should send humans on the spacecraft? If you think you should send
humans, how will they survive?
• What are some problems that might be encountered with the spacecraft on the journey
• What will you name your spacecraft?
• Why did you choose that name?
Once you think of possible solutions to these design problems, your design team will draw a sketch of your Saturn spacecraft. Remember to include everyone's ideas!