Where can educators get free math and science teaching materials? Where can they attend training workshops? And where can they get hands-on demonstrations to illustrate classroom activities? The answer to all of the above: Pay a visit to one of NASA's Educator Resource Center, which are located around the country. JPL's Educator Resource Center is in Pomona, CA, at the Village at Indian Hill Mall.
What can I expect during my visit?
• The JPL staff works with educators to find out what they need and provide appropriate NASA resources.
• Educators may receive single copies of posters, lithograph pictures, educator guides with activities, booklets and information on NASA/JPL missions (subject to supplies on hand).
• Workshops are conducted at the center.
• Each educator has unique needs but here are some of the popular items teachers often take back to the classroom:
-- Elementary educators covering the solar system will receive the Space Thrills Poster. The back side of the poster has nine printable pages, page four includes a teacher page with tips in teaching the solar system.
-- Educators for grades 1 - 8 often receive "Reading, Writing and Rings," a literacy program that uses the excitement of studying Saturn to inspire and guide writing exercises.
Who Can Visit the JPL Educator Resource Center?
All NASA Educator Resource Centers are free and open to the public, however they are intended for educators. You will be best served if you fit in one of these groups:
• Classroom educators teaching pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
• Informal educators from museums, planetariums or science centers.
• Scout leaders and other group leaders.
• Homeschoolers, afterschool program educators, colleges, universities and other education-related groups.
Planning Your Visit
• Hours vary so phone ahead to make an appointment.
• Expect to be there a while so you can view and select materials.
For a state-by-state listing of Educator Resource Centers, go to
To learn more about NASA's Educator Resource Centers, go to http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/k-4/learning/F_Educator_Resource_Center_Network.html
Sign up to receive NASA/JPL email updates, including education-related announcements, information on workshops and local events, at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/signup/
Follow @NASAJPL_EDU on Twitter to get the latest on teacher resources, workshops, tips and more.
Become a fan of NASAJPL Students on Facebook to find out about student internship opportunities, profiles of JPL interns and other cool NASA happenings.